Friday, November 13, 2009

A Very Young Linda Darnell


I watched "Day-Time Wife" this week, starring Tyrone Power and Linda Darnell. If you've seen my earlier posts, you'd know that I LOVE Tyrone Power!!!

I have seen this movie a few times before (It is in the Tyrone Power Matinee Idol Collection), but never really thought about how old Linda Darnell was at the time of its filming. I haven't seen very many Linda Darnell films, but she is very good and very beautiful in this film. The night after I watched "Day-Time Wife", I watched the A&E Linda Darnell biography. I learned that she started working in movie at 15 years of age, and was still 15 while filming "Day-Time Wife"! Wow!!! What's funny is that she plays Tyrone Power's wife of two years. Linda Darnell does not look 15 in this film, although she looks young.
It's amazing how the studios started out some actresses at such a young age. Today, 15 year-olds in movies look 15. I guess it's just how the women carried themselves back then that makes the difference. Anyway, I just thought that this was an interesting fact about Linda Darnell. I am really starting to become a great fan!

2 comments:

  1. Great post about Day Time Wife. I did not know Darnell was that young when she made this. I really haven't seen too many of her films but the ones I have I enjoyed her performances. Like in Centennial Summer and My Darling Clemetine. Oh and Mary I noticed on your profile you said you enjoy reading books on the golden age of movies. Well Amazon has a limited supply of the Warner Bros book, You Must Remember This, their entire history in one huge coffee table book. I was gonna buy it at Borders the other day with this coupon I had because retail price was $50 bucks. Well I'm glad I waited, Amazon has it for $20. A huge bargain. Just in case you interested or if you don't own it already.

    ReplyDelete