Tuesday, November 24, 2009

My Favorite Silent Actor & Actress Pt. 1


I recently posted my favorite actors and actresses. There were no silent actors on the list because I thought that they should have a separate post all together. Today I will tell you my favorite silent actor, and later on in the week my favorite actress.

Rudolph Valentino is my favorite silent film actor. I first saw a Valentino movie a few years ago, it was "The Eagle" (1925). I was so excited to finally see a Rudolph Valentino movie! Since then, I have seen several more. I admit he was not the greatest actor in the world, but he was wonderful to watch.

Valentino began in movies in 1918, the film was "A Society Sensation". But his first eye catching part wasn't until 1921, when he starred in "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse." It is in this movie that he debuted his famous tango. Later, he went on to star in "The Sheik", "Blood and Sand", "The Eagle", and his last film "Son of the Sheik".

It was while publicizing "Son of the Sheik" in New York, that he became ill with a perforated ulcer. Valentino died in surgery on August 23, 1926. He was 31 years old. Mourners were hysterical, and some were said to have committed suicide. His body was brought back to Hollywood where he was interred at Hollywood Forever Cemetery.

Rudolph Valentino had that screen presence that attracted millions of fans. It is so wonderful to see him today, eighty plus years later! Below is a clip from "Son of the Sheik" costarring Vilma Banky. I hope you stay to watch it!

Watch for my post later this week to see who my favorite silent actress is! Do you think that you can guess who it is? Leave a comment if you would like to guess. I'd love to hear who you come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment