Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My Favorite Film


Every once and a while a try to make a list of my top twenty favorite movies. They occasionally change, mostly because I often watch classic movies that I haven’t seen before. Some of these eventually become one of my favorites. In a later post I will write down my current top twenty movie list. Today I want to share with you the movie that is number one on that list.

“Singin’ in the Rain” is by far my favorite movie. I believe that this movie has everything that makes a great classic. The 1950’s in general isn’t my favorite era in films, but the story line in this movie is set in the 1920’s during the transition from silent to sound in film. I find this time period to be fascinating! Arthur Freed wrote most of the songs used in this movie back when early sound movies were being made. These songs I believe are some of the best ever written. The clothes are the typical fashion of the 1920’s. There is so much excitement from the beginning to the end of this film. It just never slows down! The comedy of “Singin’ in the Rain” is priceless, especially the “Make ‘em Laugh” song performed by Donald O’Conner. Gene Kelly stars in the role of Don Lockwood. He is of course one of the greatest dancers ever in film. His performance of “Singin’ in the Rain” is one of the most well know scenes in film history, and one of the best! I can’t take my eyes off of him as he sings and dances to this song.

I have watched this movie too many times to count. There have been days where I have watched it over and over again! “Singin’ in the Rain” is thus my favorite movie of all time. Which classic film is your all time favorite, and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment