Monday, February 8, 2010

The Uninvited (1944)


Several years ago (approximately 14/15) I stayed a week with my grandmother. She had AMC and we watched classic movies together often. One evening we watched an old scary movie and my grandma was scared to death! For years I wondered what movie that was, since I guess I did not pay attention to the title. Then about a year ago I stumbled upon "The Uninvited" on some web site, and knew that this was that movie. I finally was able to watch it last week!

Made in 1944, this movie is set in 1937 on the Devonshire coast in England. A brother and sister (Ray Milland & Ruth Hussey) are vacationing and fall in love with an abandoned house overlooking the ocean. They decide to buy it regardless of the rumors of "disturbances". Shortly after they move in they notice the disturbances themselves. With the help of a young woman (Gail Russell) who has a history in the house, and her doctor (Alan Napier), they uncover buried secrets that go back 17 years.

I am not one to give away the plot of movies. So I will leave the summery as it is. Let's just say that this is one classic film to watch for. I picked it up from the library, and afterward found out that it was on TCM later in the week. I currently do not have TCM, so I'm glad our library was able to get a copy.

You can watch the entire movie on You Tube by clicking here. Or you can watch the trailer below!



1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love this movie! Ray Milland does a wonderful job in it, don't you agree? I must purchase this movie at some point. Have you seen The Innocents with Deborah Kerr? That's another good one. Made in 1961.

    ReplyDelete